All Residents, Major Works

Essential Gas Engineering Work

The following letter was sent to some residents of the Curnock Estate. To view the original document click here.


Brick Kiln Street
Leicestershire LE100NA

The Occupier

Date: 02/07/2010

Dear Customer

Essential gas engineering work

As part of National Grid’s mains replacement programme, we plan to replace the metal gas main in your street with new plastic pipe within the next six months which is essential in order to improve your gas supply.

This work will be carried out in partnership with Morrisons

The work will involve replacing the service pipe that links your home/business to the gas main and may involve digging on your property. It may also be necessary to change the position of the gas meter to meet with current safety regulations.

If you think this work will affect any plans you may have to carry out work on your property, you may wish to discuss this with Coalition Customer Services on 08452461285.
We will write to you again two weeks before we start work in your area to confirm the date of the project. In the meantime you can find more information about this work on the back of this letter but if you have any further queries please call Morrisons on the above number.

Yours faithfully

Coalition Customer Services
Network Operations

National Grid pic
Registered Office 1 -3 Strand London WC2N 5EH
Registered in England and Wales No. 2006000

Questions and Answers

Q. Will I be without a gas supply?

A. Our work will involve disconnecting your gas supply so that engineers can safely connect the gas service pipe to the new gas main. It may be necessary to disconnect your gas supply if we need to replace the service pipe. A further interruption will be necessary when we transfer to service pipe to the new gas we can replace your service pipe and reconnect it to the new gas mains in the road.We will contact you directly to arrange access and to confirm the date of this work.

Q. When will you reconnect my gas supply?

A. After we have completed the service pipe work, we will need to revisit your property to reconnect your gas supply and test your gas appliances. If we are unable to access your property, we will leave a card with our phone number to arrange a suitable time to do this work.

Occasionally when we test your appliances we may find a fault or a gas leak, this is normally due to an unknown existing fault on the appliance. As National Grid is not responsible for the maintenance of appliances or internal pipe work, our engineer will advise you to contact a ‘Gas Safe’ registered installer. You can visit find registered installers in your area. Alternatively, you can call our Helpline on 0800 371 782. You will have to pay for any repairs on internal pipe work or faulty appliances.

If your local council or housing association normally maintains the gas equipment in your home, you should get in touch with them straight away.

Q. I cannot manage without a gas supply. Will you provide me with alternative cooking or heating facilities?

A. If you are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick please let us know and we will provide you with alternative cooking and heating facilities. All gas suppliers must keep a register of customers who are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick. Please contact your supplier if you would like to add your name to this register. You can find their contact details at the top of your gas bill.

Q. Will you need to dig up my driveway or garden?

A. Where possible we will insert the new gas service through the existing metal service, this reduces the need to dig in your garden or driveway. However, if we need to dig on your property we will reinstate the hole within five working days of the service laying work.

We complete all reinstatement to a high standard but we cannot guarantee an exact match due to the nature of the reinstatement materials and the ageing process associated with them. If you have a pattern-imprinted surface, we will try to match the surface but this may take longer than five working days if specialist materials are needed. We will replace or re-seed grass areas and flower beds if we disturb them (subject to the time of year).

Q. Will there be holes all over the road?

We can reduce the number of holes we need to dig by inserting the new plastic pipe inside the metal main. Where we cannot use this technique, any holes and trenches will be properly protected using cones, signs, barriers and road plates. Vehicle access to your property may be restricted but we will always maintain pedestrian access.

Q. Do I have to pay for this work?

A. You do not have to pay for the work to replace the gas main, service pipe or to change the position of the meter. The work forms part of National Grid’s investment programme to ensure a safe and reliable gas supply network.

Q. Who do I call if I smell gas?

A You should always report a smell of gas even if our engineers are working on site. Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999, 24 hours a day, every day of the year. This number is free although some mobile phone providers may charge you.

Comments are closed.